Get a Heads-Up
We connect you to lawyers who are happy to chat for free!
Find a Personal Injury Lawyer in Australia
Choose from the legal service above, pick your lawyer, choose your location and select your time, too easy!
Chris Clarke – Attwood Marshall Lawyers
Partner Chris has experience in major and catastrophic claims acting on behalf of those injured in motor vehicle accidents and industrial accidents as well as public liability. read more
David Millwater – McNamara & Associates
Partner David has fifteen years of practical experience appearing on behalf of clients in Court, negotiating agreements to settle disputes, and getting results for clients on difficult matters. He has a wide background of legal knowledge in areas including family law, personal injury law, crime/traffic law, and civil litigation. read more
compensation | family law | criminal law | civil litigation
Henry Garrett – Attwood Marshall Lawyers
Paralegal Henry provides legal support to the Compensation Law department in a range of areas, including court filing, drafting, briefing counsel, liaising with clients and industry participants, and arranging medico-legal appointments. read more
Jeff Garrett – Attwood Marshall Lawyers
Legal Practice Director Jeff is an avid thoroughbred racehorse breeder and has a small boutique stud at Mudgeeraba in the Gold Coast Hinterland. It is his experience in the thoroughbred industry that has triggered the equine influenza class action and the development of Attwood Marshall’s specialist division in thoroughbred breeding and racing. read more
business law | personal injury | other law
Jeremy Bruce – McNamara & Associates
Partner Jeremy predominately practices in the area of personal injury law and is passionate about obtaining successful outcomes for those injured in motor vehicle, work and other accidents. read more
compensation | wills & estates | family law
Jeremy Roche – Attwood Marshall Lawyers
Senior Associate Jeremy is a Senior Associate at Attwood Marshall and a Queensland Law Society Accredited Specialist (Compensation Law QLD) specialising in compensation claims. read more
Joshua Brown – McNamara & Associates
Associate Josh’s experience includes civil litigation, debt recovery, personal injury, total and permanent disability and income protection claims, animal law, victims of crime compensation, criminal and traffic matters. read more
compensation law | criminal law | litigation
Rhiannon Garrett – Attwood Marshall Lawyers
Senior Paralegal Rhiannon provides general support to the compensation law department, predominantly her responsibilities include drafting a variety of documentation, liaising with clients and any other tasks as directed by the Lawyers. read more
Zoe Constandinou – Attwood Marshall Lawyers
Paralegal Zoe provides legal support to the Compensation Law department in a range of areas, including court filing, drafting, briefing counsel, liaising with clients and industry participants, and arranging medico-legal appointments. read more
According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, the number of Australians hospitalized each year has increased over the past few decades, with today’s numbers coming out to around 460,000 people. Even worse, an additional 12,000 people die per year as the result of these injuries, making injury a significant factor in the overall mortality and disability rates in Australia. With personal injury playing such a large role in the lives of many Australian citizens, it is unsurprising that many find themselves seeking information about personal injury law, lawyers, and how to file a claim. Here, we go over a few of the most basic topics involved with personal injury.
What Does Personal Injury Law Cover?
Like many aspects of Australian law, each state or territory has a different set of laws which cover personal injuries. However, personal injuries are usually understood to mean physical, physiological, or psychological injuries that are the result of an accident or mistake. These accidents can happen while in the workplace, in a motorized vehicle, in a public place, or even at home.
Common Subjects of Personal Injury Claims: Injuries caused by…
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Medical Negligence
- Professional Negligence
- Workplace Injuries
- Worker’s Compensation
- Public Injuries (for example, slip and falls)
When Will I need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
While some injury cases are simple, cut and dry situations, many are far more complex, requiring precise documentation, back-and-forth with insurance companies, tight filing deadlines, and more. When you are unable to work or are trying to prove emotional distress, a lawyer will be able to negotiate with the insurer for compensation and with your employer for lost wages.
What do Personal Injury Lawyers Do?
Like all lawyers, personal injury lawyers in Australia represent the interests of their clients. Their job is to fight for the rights of those who have been injured due to the negligent action (or inaction) of someone else. A personal injury lawyer will take on the insurance companies, file the appropriate paperwork with the court, follow up with the hospital for your treatment, and be in your corner until the case is closed. If and when you or a loved one is forced to seek medical attention, it can be a relief to know that the only thing you are responsible for is healing while your lawyer takes care of the stressful details of the case.
How to Choose the Right Personal Injury Lawyer?
With so many accidents happening in Australia each year, it’s unsurprising that there are many options out there when it comes to Personal Injury Lawyers. So how do you know how to choose the one who is going to be right for you and your unique circumstances? There are few key things to look for:
- Research: By performing a little preliminary research you can narrow down your search considerably. Even a simple search engine query can help you determine the size of the firm, experience level of the lawyers, the types of cases the firm takes on, their general pricing system, and their community reputation. This can help you decide what size firm you want, what type of legal expertise is right for you, and what legal team you need.
- Comfort: Personal injury lawyers Australia will be dealing with confidential material, medical information, and guiding you at a possibly painful, stressful, and frightening time. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that you are comfortable talking with them and feel as though you can trust them with your case.
- Communication: Lawyers can be notorious for speaking in difficult to understand legal jargon and being tough to make a personal connection with. However, this is usually a stereotype, as many lawyers make extra effort to make their clients feel comfortable as mentioned above. The best lawyers will do more listening than they will talking, making sure to engage with you and show genuine interest in you and your case.
- Recommendations: Last but not least, don’t forget your best resource: friends and family! Chances are, you may know someone who has experience with personal injury claims. If so, they will be able to give you a recommendation of the lawyer who helped them…whether positive or negative it can help you narrow your search or even select the same one for yourself.